On September 10, 1882, Jacob Good, C. D. Whitman, D. F. Ellis and A. R. Goss met under a white oak tree in the Seymour park to organize a Missionary Baptist Church. Although a building committee was appointed in 1883, the original building was not completed until 1894. It was located just off the square in Seymour at the corner of Washington and Frances Streets.
Additions and improvements were made to the building through the years, including an educational addition in 1976. In 1997 fire destroyed most of the main building. Stained glass was salvaged and the Women’s Missionary Union commissioned the stained glass piece that is now located behind the baptistry.
Land for a new building was donated by A. J. and Geneve Marlin and the first service in the current building was held on October 15, 1998.